Smart Growth California
The goal of Smart Growth California is to bolster and support foundations in their efforts to advance a transportation and land use reform agenda that will benefit all Californians and the communities and regions in which they live.
- Federal stimulus resources
- Reauthorization of the federal surface transportation bill
- The Global Warming Solutions Act (AB 32), which brings new meaning and opportunity to transit-oriented development planning in the state
- The Steinberg Bill (SB 375), which compels regional planning agencies to make choices that reduce GHG emissions
- Congressional leadership among California lawmakers
Foundations can play a pivotal role by helping nonprofits respond to strategic opportunities to inform transportation and land use planning decisions at federal, state, regional, and local levels.
Background & Activities
Smart Growth California was founded in 2009 by the Funders’ Network and The San Francisco Foundation to support funders that are working to advance smarter growth policies and practices and build prosperous communities throughout California. Its agenda focuses on funder outreach, learning, and action. Smart Growth California provides learning opportunities for funders through in-person convenings and educational conference calls and manages an interactive social network where funders can get current information and share ideas and strategies. Visit www.smartgrowthcalifornia.org to learn more and engage.