A successful matching grant program, Partners for Places creates opportunities for cities and counties in the United States and Canada to improve communities by building partnerships between local government sustainability offices and place-based foundations.
National funders invest in local projects to promote a healthy environment, a strong economy, and well-being of all residents. Through these projects, Partners for Places fosters long-term relationships that make our urban areas more prosperous, livable, and vibrant. The grant program will provide partnership investments between $25,000 and $75,000 for one year projects, or $50,000 and $150,000 for two year projects, with a 1:1 match required by one or more local foundations.
To date, Partners for Places has awarded $5.4 million across North America in this successful matching grant program, leading to nearly $11 million in philanthropic investments.
For more information, read through our 2016 Annual Report, and check out the Idea Bank where you can read summaries of all the project ideas that have been submitted to the grant program. We hope to attract additional interest in urban sustainability projects beyond those that we were able to fund.
“We have a totally collaborative relationship with the (Portland, Ore.) Sustainability Office now. We have a sense of what our missions have in common and we talk all the time.” Neelima Shah, Bullitt Foundation
“Partners for Places allowed us to tap into the local giving community, which we previously had no access to. This has opened the door to more resources for our sustainability initiatives.” Steve Johns, Sustainability Coordinator Cincinnati, Ohio
About Partners for Places
The Funders’ Network for Smart Growth and Livable Communities and the Urban Sustainability Directors Network (USDN) launched the Local Sustainability Matching Fund in 2012. Now called Partners for Places, the program is managed by the Funders’ Network and supported by, The JPB Foundation, Kendeda Fund, The New York Community Trust, The Summit Foundation, and Surdna Foundation.
- Round 11 of Partners for Places: 11 Cities, 11 Sustainable Solutions (November 2017)
- Round 10 of Partners for Places General Grant/Equity Pilot Initiative: Equity at the Heart of Sustainability Efforts (May 2017)
- Round 9 of Partners for Places: Equity and Sustainability Projects Get a Boost of More Than a Million Dollars (November 2016)
- Round 8 of Partners for Places Awards $1.4 million to Twelve Community Partnerships (May 2016)
- Round 7 of Partners for Places Awards $478,936 to Nine Community Partnerships (October 2015)
- Round 6 of Partners for Places Awards $520,250 to Eight Community Partnerships (May 2015)
- Round 5 of Partners for Places Awards $562,000 to Ten Community Partnerships (October 2014)
- Round 4 of the Local Sustainability Matching Fund Awards $531,250 to Nine Community Partnerships (March 2014)
- Round 3 of the Local Sustainability Matching Fund Announces $446,500 in Awards to Nine Community Partnerships (September 2013)
- Round 2 of the Local Sustainability Matching Fund Announces $245,000 in Awards to Six Community Partnerships (January 2013)
- Round 1 of the Local Sustainability Matching Fund Announces $250,000 in Awards to Five Innovative City Sustainability Projects (May 2012)